Pre-Fall 2011 Musings

12/20/10



Some of my favorite looks from the pre-fall collections thus far.  Standout aspects for me, starting top-left, going clockwise (click to enlarge): crinkle-pleated maxi skirt with an amazing leather obi belt from Burberry; leather harness that creates the perfect shape from Michael Kors; the most luxurious fur (which reminds me of the Hans in Mulan) that I've ever seen from Donna Karen; a perfect cable knit from the brand that first created the sweater, Pringle of Scotland; leather trimmed maxi skirt with a slit up-to-there by Rag & Bone; Diane von Furstenberg's classic trench caplet; a gorgeous draped dress from the master of draping herself, Doo-Ri Chung of Doo.Ri; jewel tones and Byzantine embellishments with over-the-knee suede boots at Chanel; cool color blocking with of-the-moment wide leg trousers from Mr. Jason Wu; and an asymmetric leather jacket with a draped, printed maxi skirt from the perpetually cool Helmut Lang.

Pre-fall may, in fact, be my favorite season of them all.  I know this may sound strange, but with so many brands showing simple presentations, or even just releasing images, the focus is just on the clothes rather than a huge production for the media.  And, the looks are actually the most wearable of any of the collections.  

As for specific collections, Zero + Maria Cornejo was a little disappointing for me.  Something about the silhouettes, namely exaggerated pockets, just seemed very different, and I'm a huge Cornejo fan.  I thought Burberry was such a huge step up from their spring 2011 collection.  The look seemed a lot more modern, and I hope its a sign of things to come for fall 2011.  Rag & Bone was the absolute coolest, as always, and their clothes were perfect for the urban hipster that lies inside all of us.  Michael Kors has really been stepping up his game lately, and pre-fall only solidified this.  I'm not one for primary colors generally, but the pieces looked super well tailored, and the last dresses were perfect for Hollywood-warrior-goddesses.  I was not overly excited with Erdem, but I think that it's because what can really compare to fall 2010 and spring 2011 (awesome swallow prints and gorgeous, intricate lace, anyone?).

So as pre-fall drags on, here are my predictions for fall 2011 RTW (or hopes, anyways): Continuance of '70s love affair, a lot more '90s grunge influence, peg or wide leg pants, and dropped waists.  Maxi everything, and a-line dresses.

Trying to update more, but you know how the holidays are!  I still have to fit in more Christmas shopping, seeing Black Swan for the second time, picking up a few waitressing shifts, etc, etc...  Hope you all are having as wonderful a break as I am already.

Jax

0 remarks

Post a Comment

we love your comments!

Download

Recent Posts

Follow Les Deux