Product Review: Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer

11/4/10
KATIE

The holy grail of moisturizers?

It's been about a week and a half since I took the fateful trip to Sephora with my mother and ended up leaving with what I consider to be the YSL Iconic Platform Pump of makeup: Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. Oil-free, no less. I'd been dying to own this raved-and-ranted-about moisturizer since I'd taken up an extreme interest in fashion and beauty magazines and seen good review after good review praising the powers of this skincare product. It's no Crème de la Mer, but then what real person has $130 to spare for one measly ounce of moisture? Not I. Which is why I was simply thrilled that my mother would be willing to pay the full $42 for me to moisturize my face in style every day.

Immediately upon using the product, I noticed that it was not like any moisturizer I'd expected. It's the thickest moisturizer I've ever used, and definitely has more of a foundation consistency. It also takes much more product to cover my face than I would have expected from it's relatively small tube. The color is great though, and I haven't had any blending problems so far. The Nude shade (a bit disconcerting, since the next lighter shade is Porcelain...) never looks streaky or apparent on my skin. One reviewer on Sephora's website aptly made the comment that the consistency issue could be because of the fact that the moisturizer is oil-free; probably true. With that in mind though, I would never want to switch to the oil-full(?) version.
I'll preface this part by saying that I have fairly oily skin and it's been in a bit of break-out mode lately. Over the past week and a half of using the moisturizer though, my skin has been breaking out like crazy. My chin, nose, and forehead are ridden with acne, and my entire face is surprisingly oily for a moisturizer that is oil-free. Once more, it may be my skin's fault rather than the moisturizer's, but I saw that a few reviewers on Sephora's site seemed to have the same problem. Maybe those of us with oily/combo skin just aren't suited for this product. Maybe it's just me. Maybe my skin just isn't suited for expensive, ritzy adult makeup. Whatever it is, it's made me disappointed in this beauty splurge (even if I wasn't necessarily the one splurging).
I plan on continuing my use of this moisturizer just to see if perhaps this bad skin spell passes or if my face becomes accustomed to the new moisturizer and clears up; but thus far I don't have high hopes.

Laura Mercier, merci for your product, but I've got a feeling that I'll be saying "no merci" in favor of a cheaper, less skin-irritating moisturizer from now on.

-Katie

0 remarks

Post a Comment

we love your comments!

Download

Recent Posts

Follow Les Deux