A Thick/Frizzy/Mess of a Hair Routine.

9/4/10
KATIE

After reading Jax's post on her foolproof hair routine, I began thinking about what products I use to try to achieve a nice hair style. Upon reflection, I realized that I really only have two products that I find myself consistently returning to; and lucky for me, they are both super inexpensive:


As someone with pretty long hair that is fairly thick, frizzy, and generally out of control, the only thing I have to worry about is keeping it frizz free. Luckily for me, my hair rarely gets oily, so I don't ever worry about how much product I put in it. It is also pretty naturally voluminous (but not in a "I want my hair to have body like hers" kind of way), so weighing it down with oils isn't an issue either. A lot of times, I just let my hair air-dry without product, but, for years now, I've always ended up running over to Walgreens to pick up a bottle of one of these gems when my hair is just getting too out of hand.
Garnier Fructis' Sleek & Shine Serum is really just nice smelling baby oil in my mind (yes, I've used baby oil in my hair; don't judge!). When I get out of the shower, I'll towel dry/air-dry my hair a tiny bit, run a comb through it, and then smooth 4 or 5 pumps of this shiny stuff through the ends of my hair. Not only does it give my hair really nice luster, it keeps frizz and unwanted body to a minimum and leaves my hair with a nice, fruity smelling softness.
But if softness is what I'm going for, Dove's Frizz Control Cream is a miracle worker. I've been on a Sleek & Shine Serum kick for a month or so now, but pretty soon when the heat dies down and my hair stops being severely afflicted by the Southeast's terrible humidity, I'm switching back to Dove. Similarly to the shine serum, I apply a pump or to to my hair after letting it dry only a tiny bit after the shower. This product pretty much does all that Garnier Fructis' does, except it replaces adding shine to adding incredible softness to hair. I mean, incredible softness. This stuff is great for winter, when my hair is usually so brittle and dead that softness is generally a forgotten word to my head full of split ends.

As far as shampoo and conditioner go, I've used some of the cheapest and most expensive brands available, and can't really tell enough of a difference in any of them to stick to one brand (except Pantene; I don't use that crap). As far as products that I've loved in the past, some of my favorite products for in-shower hair care are Herbal Essences' Hello Hydration, Organix's Nourishing Coconut Milk, and Dove's Damage Therapy Intense Repair. They all keep my hair very moisturized and leave it feeling as nice and light as hair can feel when it's about a foot and a half long.

-Katie

(Images from Garnier Fructis and Dove)

0 remarks

Post a Comment

we love your comments!

Download

Recent Posts

Follow Les Deux